What is this course about?
This course is aimed at providing a solid grounding in and overview of the scheme of equal opportunities law in Great Britain. It is aimed at HR professionals and line managers and can be adapted to either the private or the public sector.
The course will be conducted through a series of presentations using real-life examples from the case law to illustrate points. An open and participative style will be adopted throughout with questions and discussion encouraged at each stage.
Key topics covered
- Overview of discrimination in the UK
- Disability discrimination
- Discrimination in recruitment
- Maternity and family rights
- Dignity at work
- Age discrimination
- Direct and indirect discrimination
- Final questions and round-up
Who would benefit?
At the end of the workshop, delegates will understand:
- Equal Opportunities law
- How equal opportunities affects companies
- Their own responsibilities relating to the law
Key topics covered
1. Overview of discrimination in the UK
- Origins of discrimination law
- Scope of the law in the UK – sex, race, disability, religion, sexual orientation
- Introduction to the key concepts – direct and indirect discrimination
- Proving discrimination
2. Disability discrimination
- Defining disability
- Direct discrimination in disability cases
- Discrimination ‘connected with disability’
- The duty to make reasonable adjustments
3. Discrimination in recruitment
- Job descriptions and person specifications
- Advertising the post
- Shortlisting candidates
- Interviews and selection methods
- Offering the job
4. Maternity and family rights
- Maternity, parental, paternity and adoption leave
- Rights during maternity leave
- Pregnancy and sex discrimination
- Returning to work part-time
5. Dignity at work
- Defining harassment
- Liability of employers and employees
- The employers defence – taking steps to prevent harassment
- Protection from Harassment Act
- Bullying at work
- Dealing with complaints
6. Age discrimination
- Background to the Regulations – timetable for implementation
7. Direct and indirect discrimination
- Service-related benefits
8. Final questions and round-up
Are you interested in running this course for your team or organisation?
This programme can be delivered on a date of your choice and at a location of your choice, in other words exactly where and when you need it!
From the outset we will provide you with expert advice and you will be assigned your own personal training adviser who will stay with you throughout the process. Every team is different so we will provide you with a tailored training programme, designed around your team’s needs and focused on your desired outcomes.
All courses are followed up by a full training evaluation report and certificates of learning for each delegate. For groups of up to 12 delegates per course, our in-company training is a very cost-effective way to develop your people and improve team performance.
Get in touch today for a full quotation to suit your budget. To discuss your requirements in more detail with one of our friendly advisers please call on 0845 130 5714 or email one of the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively you can complete the short contact form below.