What is this course about?
At work all of us have to write. Much of our contact might be by telephone however, with the advent of electronic means of sending information, use of the written word has increased rather than decreased over recent years.
As well as good face-to-face and telephone skills, competence in writing is essential. Improving confidence in business writing skills in the workplace will underpin job knowledge and reflect well on the individual.
Key topics covered
- The essentials of written communication
- Planning and preparation
- Using the best tools
- Developing your writing style and sensitivity to tone
- Image and Impact
Who would benefit?
Anyone who has to use written communication as part of their job.
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- Identify their strengths and the areas in which they need development
- Understand what grammar means
- Plan and prepare before writing
- Analyse and use techniques which give impact to their writing
- Give a good impression of themselves, the department and the organisation
- Adopt a suitable tone for the circumstances
- Write with more confidence and in an easily readable style
- Write with a high degree of awareness of the reader’s knowledge and needs
- Produce correspondence that gets things done
Key topics covered
1. The essentials of written communication
- The purpose and use of written communication
- When and why we use writing to communicate our thoughts and ideas
- Writing with increased confidence
- Self-analysis – how effective are your current writing practices?
- Why is some business writing more effective than others?
2. Planning and preparation
- Asking questions of yourself before you begin
- Gathering all the information before starting to write
- Producing first drafts
3. Using the best tools
- Words, phrases, clauses, sentences
- Reassurance on the basics and the support available
- Punctuation options – prose versus bullet points
- Sentences and paragraphs – length and variety
4. Developing your writing style and sensitivity to tone
- Choosing an appropriate format for your writing
- Guidelines to make your writing accurate and easily understood – tightening up your style
- Your style, the company style – how close should they be?
- The place of humour
5. Image and Impact
- What will affect this in the reader’s eyes
- The physical make-up – layout, presentation, forms of address etc
- Proof reading and checking
Are you interested in running this course for your team or organisation?
This programme can be delivered on a date of your choice and at a location of your choice, in other words exactly where and when you need it!
From the outset we will provide you with expert advice and you will be assigned your own personal training adviser who will stay with you throughout the process. Every team is different so we will provide you with a tailored training programme, designed around your team’s needs and focused on your desired outcomes.
All courses are followed up by a full training evaluation report and certificates of learning for each delegate. For groups of up to 12 delegates per course, our in-company training is a very cost-effective way to develop your people and improve team performance.
Get in touch today for a full quotation to suit your budget.To discuss your requirements in more detail with one of our friendly advisers please call on 0845 130 5714 or email one of the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively you can complete the short contact form below.