What is this course about?
The aim of this programme is to give participants the proficiency to collect data, organise material and produce finished reports efficiently and effectively so that they will impress their readers – senior staff and clients alike. The course method will consist of sessions led by the tutor, syndicate and full group discussions, as well as practical work at every stage.
Key topics covered
- The purpose of reports
- Effective report planning
- Producing a report – the content
- Developing an appropriate and effective writing style
- Practical report writing
- Writing refinements
- Preparing the report for circulation
- Writing bonuses and shortcuts
Who would benefit?
Anyone who has to prepare business reports – whether brief or detailed.
By the end of the programme, those who have attended will be able to:
- Focus on the power of the report format
- Plan their approach strategically
- Collect and organise material efficiently and effectively
- Handle words and visuals sensitively
- Develop a style suitable for the reader and with which they are comfortable
- Identify short cuts to communication
- Refine techniques which they can make unique to themselves
Key topics covered
1. The purpose of reports
- When and why they are necessary to you and the company
- Overall purpose
- Standard report formats – the pros and cons
2. Effective report planning
- Getting started and removing the writer’s block
- What to ask before you begin
- The stages to go through to give you confidence
- Carrying out the plan
3. Producing a report – the content
- Assimilating material from different sources
- Organising the material and sequencing
- Outlining and producing a report specification
- Isolating fact from opinion
- Dealing with visuals
- Appendices, indexes and bibliographies
- Layout – formal, informal
4. Developing an appropriate and effective writing style
- The essentials of good English
- Words, sentences, paragraphs, prose versus bullet points
- Spelling and punctuation
- Sequencing alternatives
- Common grammatical problems
5. Practical report writing
- Bringing it all together so that the method is second nature
- Persuasion – influence, theory and practice
6. Writing refinements
- The touches that make the difference
- Key words and referencing
7. Preparing the report for circulation
- Making final checks
- Sending the report out and feedback from recipients
8. Writing bonuses and shortcuts
- Techniques to save you time
- Reports to be discussed at meetings
Are you interested in running this course for your team or organisation?
This programme can be delivered on a date of your choice and at a location of your choice, in other words exactly where and when you need it!
From the outset we will provide you with expert advice and you will be assigned your own personal training adviser who will stay with you throughout the process. Every team is different so we will provide you with a tailored training programme, designed around your team’s needs and focused on your desired outcomes.
All courses are followed up by a full training evaluation report and certificates of learning for each delegate. For groups of up to 12 delegates per course, our in-company training is a very cost-effective way to develop your people and improve team performance.
Get in touch today for a full quotation to suit your budget. To discuss your requirements in more detail with one of our friendly advisers please call on 0845 130 5714 or email one of the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively you can complete the short contact form below.