What is this course about?
“If you want a job doing properly do it yourself!”
“I haven’t got time to plan – I am too busy doing!”
“What do you mean I have to go on a course – do you have any idea what my workload is like?”
Sound familiar? These are classic statements made by candidates before they attended our Delegation Skills course.
This course is designed to press the reset button and offer delegates the opportunity to expand their skills portfolio by identifying the key obstacles to effective delegation and overcoming them. This not only improves their work balance, but enhances them as a manager and develops the potential in their staff. The course has been carefully designed to stretch delegates through a very interactive facilitative manner – not at all like attending a lecture in delegation.
Key topics covered
- What is delegation?
- The benefits of delegation
- Different leadership styles
- The where, the how and the what
- Delegating to different types of people
- When delegating goes bad!
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Practical delegation exercises
- Matrix Delegation
Who would benefit?
Anyone who would like to improve their delegation skills at work.
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
- List the benefits to themselves and their employees of professional delegation
- Choose when the right time is to delegate and when their leadership skills need to be more managerial
- Describe how to delegate efficiently
- Recognise how different employees need to receive information differently
- Demonstrate effective feedback
Key topics covered
1. What is delegation?
- Definition of delegation
- What it is
- What it is not
- Common misconceptions about delegation
2. The benefits of delegation
- Why delegate?
- How to make better use of your time
- Improving personal performance through delegation
- Delegation as a motivational tool
- Filling a skills gap
- Making the most of the resources to hand
3. Different leadership styles
- Exploring leadership using Blanchard and Hersey examples
- What does delegation really mean?
- When are you coaching or managing and NOT delegating
4. The where, the how and the what
- Exploring the appropriateness of delegation
- Getting the most out of delegation
- Removing the correct items from your ‘to-do’ list
5. Delegating to different types of people
- What type are you?
- How do different types like to be communicated to?
- What pushes different people’s hot buttons
- How to get the very best out of your time and your team
6. When delegating goes bad!
- How to avoid issues
- How to recognise when things are going wrong
- What is the best course of action?
- How to still come out with a positive
7. Giving and receiving feedback
- How and when to give feedback
- How to deal with feedback
- Feedback as an effective development tool
8. Practical exercises
- A chance to practice all that has been learnt (including giving and receiving feedback)
9. Matrix Delegation
- Where you have no direct management
- Delegating in all directions – down, across and up
Are you interested in running this course for your team or organisation?
This programme can be delivered on a date of your choice and at a location of your choice, in other words exactly where and when you need it!
From the outset we will provide you with expert advice and you will be assigned your own personal training adviser who will stay with you throughout the process. Every team is different so we will provide you with a tailored training programme, designed around your team’s needs and focused on your desired outcomes.
All courses are followed up by a full training evaluation report and certificates of learning for each delegate. For groups of up to 12 delegates per course, our in-company training is a very cost-effective way to develop your people and improve team performance.
Get in touch today for a full quotation to suit your budget.
To discuss your requirements in more detail with one of our friendly advisers please call on 0845 130 5714 or email one of the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively you can complete the short contact form below.