What is this course about?
The development of management skills can be achieved in different ways. Some people have a natural aptitude; some learn through trial and error; some have experience in other companies; some are trained on the job by the previous incumbent or their peers and some have had training from an outside agency. With these different approaches, it is wise to come together to pool ideas and practices which work – for the good of the individual and the organisation.
This course has been devised to examine current practices; discuss ideas and formulate strategies for the current and future management of the company. The emphasis will be on building on good practice; developing confidence and encouraging innovation.
Key topics covered
- Introduction & objectives
- Roles and responsibilities
- Effective communication
- Managing awkward / sensitive staff situations
- Motivation and team-building
- Mentoring / coaching, training and delegation
- Personal action plan
Who would benefit?
Delegates who are new to line management or who have had some experience with little or no formal training.
By the end of the workshop those who have attended will have:
- Examined their management role
- Defined the management skills they have and on what they need to build
- Questioned their communication style and what could be fine tuned
- Considered techniques for team building and motivating the staff reporting to them
- Developed strategies for dealing with awkward or sensitive situations
- Seen what is involved in delegation, mentoring / coaching and training
Key topics covered
- Personal introductions
2. Roles and responsibilities
- Defining the management role and key skills
- Expectations from staff, peers and other managers
- Transition into a management role
- Responsibility, accountability, authority – the key relationship
- The three main areas to manage
- The skill underpinning all others
- Developing clear lines of communication
- Your style of communication – identifying it, questioning it, enhancing it
- Contact and method (approachability and suitability)
- Effective listening skills
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Assertiveness as opposed to passive or aggressive action
- What motivates / de-motivates people
4. Managing awkward / sensitive staff situations
- Tricky situations experienced and the approach needed
- The three influence factors
- What to say / what not to say
- The power of the positive
- Successes and learning opportunities
5. Motivation and team-building
- What the ‘experts’ say and your ideas
- Motivators to suit your style and your team
- Formulating a plan for teams and the company as a whole
6. Mentoring / coaching, training and delegation
- An overview of the techniques
- What is needed in each case
- Clarifying the real meaning of delegation as apposed to assigning work
7. Action plan
- Review of discussion
- Formulating a personal action plan
- Suggestions for the company
Are you interested in running this course for your team or organisation?
This programme can be delivered on a date of your choice and at a location of your choice, in other words exactly where and when you need it!
From the outset we will provide you with expert advice and you will be assigned your own personal training adviser who will stay with you throughout the process.,Every team is different so we will provide you with a tailored training programme, designed around your team’s needs and focused on your desired outcomes.
All courses are followed up by a full training evaluation report and certificates of learning for each delegate. For groups of up to 12 delegates per course, our in-company training is a very cost-effective way to develop your people and improve team performance.
Get in touch today for a full quotation to suit your budget. To discuss your requirements in more detail with one of our friendly advisers please call on 0845 130 5714 or email one of the team at email@example.com. Alternatively you can complete the short contact form below.