What is this course about?
Today’s workplace is changing fast with cross-border, flexible and remote working becoming an increasing reality for more employees each year. Without doubt, this trend is set to continue with significant implications for business leaders and managers and how they effectively manage, communicate with, and motivate their teams.
Technology, IT systems and communication tools such as the internet, intranet, video conferencing and mobile communications support the development of remote management. Many organisations are switching to remote working as part of a deliberate business strategy and to focus on customer related activities. This brings with it; far greater employee responsibility, empowerment and personal development.
To be successful at remote management there needs to be a clear understanding of the issues, supported with a well thought out training strategy. This two-day programme has been developed to help managers adapt to managing and working remotely.
Key topics covered
- Exploring and defining the different configurations of remote teams
- Assessing and benchmarking the key skills and competencies required
- Identifying the challenges for setting up and maintaining remote team networks
- Communication in remote teams
- Remote communication workshop
- Team working
- Self management
- Implementing your learning
- Remote Management Tools
Who would benefit?
- Country, regional or area managers
- Field-based workers
- Managers who operate remotely from the team that they lead
- Understand and appreciate the differences between co-located working and remote working
- To benchmark against the key competencies of effective remote managers
- Understand and appreciate the diverse characteristics and dynamics of remote teams
- Create and adapt to a new framework of working based on empowerment, trust and mutual dependence as opposed to directive hierarchical management models
- Explore the impact of remote working on performance and maximise personal effectiveness and productivity
- Motivate remote workers more effectively
- Improve 360 degree management relationships (internal and external)
- Effective management through improved face-to-face, email, voicemail and mobile communication
- Better able to run effective team briefings and meetings remotely
- Develop a variety of communication skills which are essential for remote working
- Practice and polish a variety of communication skills which are essential for remote working
- Improved performance management and measurement of remote workers
- Learn tips and techniques for dealing with people from different cultures and nationalities
Key topics covered
2. Exploring and defining the different configurations of remote teams
3. Assessing and benchmarking the key skills and competencies required
4. Identifying the challenges for setting up and maintaining remote team networks
5. Communication in remote teams
- Understanding the diverse styles of team players (self-awareness and other awareness – tools and instruments)
- Understanding cultural differences and how these impact on the global working environment
- Exploring some of the technical tools and resources for managing remote communication processes to enhance better concentration and focus on important issues (MS Net meeting, Webex, Ms Messenger, Knowledge Management Tools, Team Web Spaces etc)
- Analysing your own style and profile as a remote team leader
- Dealing with fragmentation and distance
- Motivating others from a distance
6. Remote communication workshop
- Practical guidelines for ‘teleconferencing’ – how to plan and manage effective remote meetings (simulation with real tools and role play exercises)
- Dealing with the logistics – time zones, planning and time management
- Disseminating and managing information
- Working with ‘state of the art’ communication tools for remote management
- Dealing with different styles, needs and demands of individuals and groups
- Exploring methods for maintaining control, agreeing on objectives and ending remote sessions with achievable action plans (tools and templates)
- Dealing with difficult situations – cross cultural misunderstanding, language issues and other obstacles to clear communication
- Dealing with difficult people issues – how to maintain control by being assertive and not aggressive (voice, tone and intonation)
7. Team working
- Goal-directed teamwork
- Planning, achieving, and monitoring goals together
- Fostering creativity in remote teams
- Exploring innovative methods for integrating the team
- Characteristics of remote teams
- The phases of remote team development from building and developing the team to achieving performance targets
- Measuring and monitoring remote team performance – tools and techniques
- Motivating remote team members (theory and practice)
8. Self management
9. Implementing your learning
- Completing your personal action plan / wrap up and review of key learning
- Capturing the learning
- Planning for improvement
During the programme several useful tools will be introduced:
- Participants will be able to measure their remote managing competencies against a profile or balanced scorecard based on the 7 competencies model.
- A cross cultural self-assessment tool will be available for those wishing to gain a better understanding of cultural and nationality differences that affect remote working.
- Brief one-to-one sessions with the course tutor will be available for those wishing to explore particular issues in more depth.
Are you interested in running this course for your team or organisation?
This programme can be delivered on a date of your choice and at a location of your choice, in other words exactly where and when you need it!
From the outset we will provide you with expert advice and you will be assigned your own personal training adviser who will stay with you throughout the process. Every team is different so we will provide you with a tailored training programme, designed around your team’s needs and focused on your desired outcomes.
All courses are followed up by a full training evaluation report and certificates of learning for each delegate. For groups of up to 12 delegates per course, our in-company training is a very cost-effective way to develop your people and improve team performance.
Get in touch today for a full quotation to suit your budget. To discuss your requirements in more detail with one of our friendly advisers please call on 0845 130 5714 or email one of the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively you can complete the short contact form below.