What is this course about?
When negotiating do you often wish you understood more fully what the buyer is thinking and how they have planned for the negotiation?
This course is ideal for anyone who is responsible for the selling of products on behalf of their organisation. The first day takes you through everything you need to know to become an effective negotiator. On the second day we introduce an experienced Purchasing Director who gets you inside the mind of the buyer. You will learn everything from what a buyer is expecting from you to how they prepare for their meetings.
The course challenges you to think from the buyer’s side and use this perspective to achieve better results in every negotiation. There will be plenty of workshops on both days which enable the delegate to practice their skills in a comfortable environment.
Key topics covered
- The 7 step process to an effective outcome
- Fundamentals of negotiations
- The importance of trading concession
- Four stages of negotiations
- The role & responsibilities of the buyer
- The effective supplier from a buyer’s perspective
- Retail Trade issues from the buyer’s perspective
- It’s A Deal – A series of negotiating role plays with the buyer
Who would benefit?
Anyone responsible for sales wishing to understand the negotiation process from a buyer’s perspective.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Have the knowledge and tools necessary to be able to conduct any negotiation as a competitive and collaborative negotiation
- Understand how to make the most effective use of time available for negotiation preparation
- Appreciate the benefits of a wide range of persuasion techniques which are effective in commercial negotiations
- Learn what buyers are looking for and how they judge you during negotiation
- Be aware of the most commonly used tricks, traps and ploys used in negotiation and, more importantly, how to deal with them
- See for yourself the factors which make the difference between effective and average negotiators
Key topics covered
1. The 7 step process to an effective outcome
- Win win process
- Planning your variables
- Establishing the gap
- The importance of the close
2. Fundamentals of negotiations
- Achieving our objective through relationship building
- Understand the other party’s role
- Always trade concessions
- Techniques of advanced negotiation skills
3. The importance of trading concession
- Never concede without getting something in return
- Plan your concessions carefully beforehand
- Deal them like cards (one at a time)
4. Four stages of negotiations
5. The role & responsibilities of the buyer
- Achievement of budgeted sales, cash margin & gross profit
- Negotiation of all financial elements
- Range sourcing & selection
- Creation & execution of promotional activity
6. The effective supplier from a buyer’s perspective
- Clear, concise & focused in meetings
- Deep knowledge of the buyer’s range & market position
7. Retail Trade issues from the buyer’s perspective
- Current trading issues
- Environmental factors
- National / Local Sourcing Issues
8. It’s A Deal – A series of negotiating role plays with the buyer
- Use of concessions
- Listening skills (flag-waving)
- Achieving the call objective
Are you interested in running this course for your team or organisation?
This programme can be delivered on a date of your choice and at a location of your choice, in other words exactly where and when you need it!
From the outset we will provide you with expert advice and you will be assigned your own personal training adviser who will stay with you throughout the process. Every team is different so we will provide you with a tailored training programme, designed around your team’s needs and focused on your desired outcomes.
All courses are followed up by a full training evaluation report and certificates of learning for each delegate. For groups of up to 12 delegates per course, our in-company training is a very cost-effective way to develop your people and improve team performance.
Get in touch today for a full quotation to suit your budget. To discuss your requirements in more detail with one of our friendly advisers please call on 0845 130 5714 or email one of the team at email@example.com. Alternatively you can complete the short contact form below.