What is this course about?
Whatever job we do, we usually have to work with others. Getting the job done and having a happy working environment can make all the difference to the quality of life and the business. This course is designed to encourage assertiveness to come naturally and build courage and confidence in the individual.
This course is designed to establish good practice for the good of all. It emphasises building confidence; giving a good impression to others and protecting oneself.
Key topics covered
- Styles of communication
- Self acceptance and perceived position in different situations
- Persuasive communication
- Dealing with Difficult Situations
- Assertiveness Action plan
Who would benefit?
Anyone who works with others and is either passive or aggressive in their interpersonal dealings.
By the end of this course, those attending will be able to:
- Identify the best approach to use when voicing ideas and opinions to colleagues and senior managers
- Forge more productive working relationships and avoid offending or alienating others by applying best interpersonal skills
- Use an enhanced sense of self-value to respond in a constructive and positive manner
- Present a positive image of the organisation when dealing with the outside world
Key topics covered
1. Styles of communication
- Differentiating between assertive, aggressive, passive, submissive or accommodating behaviour
- Assertiveness, confidence, courage and faith
- The relationship between competence and confidence
- The characteristics that underpin effective behaviour
- Personal assessment
- Your behaviour style
- The reasons behind behaviour – the understandable and the impenetrable
- Rights – useful concepts and otherwise (the ‘should’ syndrome)
- How behaviour affects the productivity of others
- The cultural, gender and psychological processes that influence behaviour
2. Self acceptance and perceived position in different situations
- Dealing with colleagues, customers, clients, managers and friends
- Confidence levels when dealing with colleagues and managers
- Reactive and responsive judgements
- The relationship between self-confidence and perception others have of individuals’ abilities
3. Persuasive communication
- Communicating in a positive manner with colleagues, seniors, clients and friends
- The barriers to effective communication
- How to say ‘no’ without causing offence or feeling guilty
- Using body language to help emphasise messages
- The importance of eye contact and facial expression
- Using the voice to advantage
4. Dealing with Difficult Situations
Recognising and overcoming situations that are potentially difficult:
- dealing with anger
- disagreeing with others
- dealing with criticism
- dealing with people who won’t listen
- dealing with put downs
- dealing with a passive ‘response’
- making and refusing requests
5. Assertiveness Action plan
- Reviewing techniques and selecting what’s suitable
- Implement plans
- Awareness through to results
Are you interested in running this course for your team or organisation?
This programme can be delivered on a date of your choice and at a location of your choice, in other words exactly where and when you need it!
From the outset we will provide you with expert advice and you will be assigned your own personal training adviser who will stay with you throughout the process. Every team is different so we will provide you with a tailored training programme, designed around your team’s needs and focused on your desired outcomes.
All courses are followed up by a full training evaluation report and certificates of learning for each delegate. For groups of up to 12 delegates per course, our in-company training is a very cost-effective way to develop your people and improve team performance.
Get in touch today for a full quotation to suit your budget. To discuss your requirements in more detail with one of our friendly advisers please call on 0845 130 5714 or email one of the team at email@example.com. Alternatively you can complete the short contact form below.